Sunday, April 19, 2009

Primus, Les Claypool, & bucket head

I would like to talk about a band called Primus, a band whose sound is like no other band that I have ever heard. With song names like "My Name is Mud" and "Professor Nutter-Butter's House of Treats" it is not surprising at all that Primus is known for having a unique and diverse sound. In my opinion, Primus is so enjoyable for me to listen to because of the bassist and singer Les Claypool. Primus's songs are centered around the bass guitar rather than a guitar.

I recently listened to Les Claypool's new album called "Of Fungi and Foe". All the songs on this album were great and just as strange as all Primus' other songs. Les Claypool recently went on a tour that was called Les Claypool's Oddity Faire tour, and when he was asked what was planned for the tour he replied "We're going to fill it full of freaks. I guarantee it's going to be a memorable event. Whether you love or hate the music or the performers, it's going to be very memorable".

I honestly would not know what genre of music Primus could be associated with. My Itunes library has some albums listed as rock, others alternative and others listed as metal. I would have to disagree. If I would categorize Primus with any one genre of music it would probably have to be a fusion of alternative, funk and metal.

To me, Les Claypool has an extremely unique sound that cannot be imitated by anyone. Primus has very diverse songs and especially diverse music videos. In the music video for the song called Mr.Krinkles, Les Claypool has a pig mask and a suit on and is playing an upright bass while people who could be stars of a freak show walk by him.

Now I would like to transition from talking about incredible and strange bass playing to incredible and strange guitar playing. Bucket head as he likes to be called is a guitar player who is known for wearing a K.F.C fried chicken bucket on top of his head and a Micheal Myers mask on his face, doing the robot break dance and swing around nunchucks. Despite these strange characteristics bucket head is actually a great guitar player known for being one of the fastest guitar players ever.

I watched a video from Ozzfest in 1999 on Youtube a while ago in which Primus played a few songs with Bucket head. It was great to say the least. Les Claypool and Bucket head have a very similar style to one another and are a perfect match. If I had to pick which one was better at what they do I would have to go with Les Claypool because even though Bucket Head is one of the fastest guitarists I think that he does not put enough rhythm and feeling into his guitar playing.

Many people think that Primus and Bucket Head are bad because of their diverse strange sounding music, but then again I am willing to bet that many of these people think that the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus's music is actually good.

525 words

1 comment:

  1. That's a good entry right there, Gabe. You're very expressive and you assess the genre of music very well, even adding classification evidence from your iPod to prove your point. One thing I want you to focus on is getting rid of "I" and "in my opinion" whenever you can. You're doing the writing, so we already know that it's your opinion! Plus, those same opinions will sound bolder without the extra words. Also, don't tell the reader you're going to transition, just do it! A well-written piece will flow more easily from topic to topic, with paragraph organization and cues helping the reader understand that one topic is over and another is starting.

    ReplyDelete