Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rap

The Wu Tang clan is one of my favorite rap groups of all time. Rather than being artificial like most rap songs today Wu Tang's songs are not put through synthesisers and have more of an old school, classic, damaged sound to them. The Wu Tang Clan's members include The RZA, The GZA, Old dirty, Method man, Ghostface Killah, Inspecter Deck, U-GoD, Master Killah, and Reakwon.

Old Dirty aka Dirt McGert aka Ason aka Osirus aka ODB was one of the founding members of The Wu Tang Clan along with the RZA and the GZA. Old Dirty died from a drug overdose in 2004. Old Dirty was definitely different from all the other members and definitely more energetic.

Out of the nine members of the Wu Tang Clan the GZA is defiantly my favorite. Aside from listening to just The Wu Tang Clan, I frequently listen the GZA's solo music. The GZA is also called by his nickname,Genius,for directing most of the music videos.
Wu Tang Clan member RZA whose real name is Robert Fitzgerald Diggs is another great rapper that helps to make up The Wu Tang Clan. I recently downloaded the album "Digi Snacks" off of Itunes and I have to admit it was definitely not what I had expected it to be. It sounded alot less like Wu Tang and alot more like most of the rap today that goes through synthesisers and cumputers.

The first time I had ever heard of the Wu Tang Clan was about two years ago on a Chapelle Show skit called Wu Tang financial. In this skit The RZA and The GZA act as financial aids, and tell stereotypical white people how to buy stocks. After that I checked them out and found a liking to their music. One thing I find interesting about The Wu Tang Clan is how they blend in little clips of audio from old Corny martial arts films. The Wu Tang Clan's name came from a mountain from Japan called mt. Wu Tang.

Mos Def is another rapper that I listen to frequently. He has the same Hardcore Old school rap style as The Wu Tang Clan. I first heard of Mos Def two years ago on the Chepelle Show as an actor and performer. Mos Def's real name is Dante Terrel Smith. He performs both as a solo artist and he performs with Talib Quali to make up the rap group called Blackstar. Mos Def's album Black on Both sides seems to talk alot about Brooklyn which is Mos Def's hometown and talks alot about racism.

A Tribe called Quest is next on my list. They are another classic Hip Hop group that I listen to. They first started making music in the late eightys. A Tribe called Quest consists of three members named Q-tip, Jarobi White and Phife Dog. In my opinion A Tribe called Quest is one of the best clasic Hip Hop groups ever and I have yet to hear a better rap song than "Can I Kick it".

508 words

2 comments:

  1. Rather than being artificial like most rap songs today Wu Tang's songs are not put through synthesisers and have more of an old school, classic, damaged sound to them. -there should probably be a , after today
    Out of the nine members of the Wu Tang Clan the GZA is defiantly my favorite
    you spelt definitely wrong.I like the topic of the blog, but I think you should say more about why you frequently listen to them, and why they're your favorite band in addition to the background information you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may not believe me (I am your English teacher after all) but I have actually seen A Tribe Called Quest in concert. If you're looking for something along the same lines, try De La Soul or Jamiroquai<--(check the spelling on that).

    Jordan's comments above are on the mark, though she should spell "spelled" correctly! Watch your spelling and proof your work. There are some real obvious, lazy errors here--edit them! Give less background info and more commentary.

    ReplyDelete